Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Just like Bennigan's but so much easier!
Make and share this Simple Monte Cristo Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices Texas toast thick bread, white bread slices
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli cooked turkey
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli cooked smoked ham
- 8 (3/4 ounce) swiss cheese, slices
- powdered sugar
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Dip both side of each slice of bread into batter mixture.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add battered bread slices and cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Spread 1 tbsp strawberry jam on each bread slice.
- Add turkey, ham and cheese on top of 2 bread slices and then top with remaining slice to make a sandwich.
- Place sandwiches on baking sheet and broil on middle oven rack 3-5 minutes or just until cheese melts making sure to flip them half way through and checking constantly not to burn them.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
An interesting way to make a Monte Cristo! I actually cut the recipe in half & that, along with a bowl of soup, made a great lunch for 2 of us (not to mention cutting way back on the calories, fat, cholesterol, etc)! Not something I'd make often, but since this is one of my very favorite sandwiches, well . . . Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my Lunchtime Sandwich theme in My-3-Chefs]