Chef #441002's Note:
Its fast, its easy, its low fat/calorie and full of flavor. all my favorite things in a recipe. I made it up, I call these recipe's my: 'whatever is in the fridge' series. Sometimes it hits sometimes it misses. this is definitely a hit! The BOCA brand Italian Sausage is the most commonly available but I used Tofurkey brand sun-dried Tomato Italian sausage and that is my favorite. Also, the crushed red pepper flakes are not for the weak! Omit them for a milder flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package vegetarian Italian sausages
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 1 (16 ounce) package gnocchi
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (OMIT OR INCREASE TO TASTE)
- 1Boil Gnocci.
- 2Chop sausages into 1/2 inch pieces, add oil to a frying pan, and put sausage into pan so each piece is lying flat, and simmer on low setting for 3-5 minutes, just until the sausage is browned to your liking (i tend to like mine almost black).
- 3Once the sausages are browned, add Crushed tomato and diced tomato directly into the pan, along with oregano, garlic, basil and parmesan cheese, red pepper if desired. Mix ingredients well and cover pan.
- 4Once the gnocci is boiled, drain it and add it along with the green beans to the sausage sauce mixture. the spices need 15-20 minutes to incorporate into the sauces.
- 5*Spicy lovers note: make this dish a day in advance, the red pepper flakes need much more time to spread into the mixture*.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Low Calorie Veggie Sausage Dish
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.1
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Sodium 758.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian Italian sausages