Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Its fast, its easy, its low fat/calorie and full of flavor. all my favorite things in a recipe. I made it up, I call these recipe's my: 'whatever is in the fridge' series. Sometimes it hits sometimes it misses. this is definitely a hit! The BOCA brand Italian Sausage is the most commonly available but I used Tofurkey brand sun-dried Tomato Italian sausage and that is my favorite. Also, the crushed red pepper flakes are not for the weak! Omit them for a milder flavor.
- 1 (16 ounce) package vegetarian Italian sausages
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 1 (16 ounce) package gnocchi
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (OMIT OR INCREASE TO TASTE)
- Boil Gnocci.
- Chop sausages into 1/2 inch pieces, add oil to a frying pan, and put sausage into pan so each piece is lying flat, and simmer on low setting for 3-5 minutes, just until the sausage is browned to your liking (i tend to like mine almost black).
- Once the sausages are browned, add Crushed tomato and diced tomato directly into the pan, along with oregano, garlic, basil and parmesan cheese, red pepper if desired. Mix ingredients well and cover pan.
- Once the gnocci is boiled, drain it and add it along with the green beans to the sausage sauce mixture. the spices need 15-20 minutes to incorporate into the sauces.
- *Spicy lovers note: make this dish a day in advance, the red pepper flakes need much more time to spread into the mixture*.