Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I got this recipe from my hubbs cute little Sicilian grandmother. Her meat sauce is a favorite in my hubby's family, they looove this meat sauce its served at all family gatherings. It is so simple to make, and freezes really well. You may also make this recipe in the slow cooker.
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 22.18 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large whole garlic cloves
- 14.79-44.37 ml sugar (depending on the acidity of the tomato juice)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml sweet basil
- 3 bay leaves (take out after cooked)
- 1304.07 g can tomato juice
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- In large pan heat 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, add garlic and sauté, tilt the olive oil in pan to cover the garlic, sauté until opaque.
- Immediately add tomato juice, sugar, salt, pepper, sweet basil, and bay leaves. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Smash the garlic cloves with a fork, add the tomato paste in sauce and a can of water.
- In large skillet cook ground beef, drain well (pat with paper towel).
- Add beef in sauce, and Simmer at least 2 hours until sauce turns dark red.
- Serve with 1 lb. pasta and fresh grated Asiago cheese.
This is a good base sauce. I wish it had more flavoring (garlic and salt especially). My advice it to reduce the sauce to bring out more flavor, but it is definately worth playing around with to your personal taste.