Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very simple tomato sauce that leaves itself open to variations and additions.
- 2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Start by peeling the tomatoes.
- The easiest way to do this is to fill a bowl with boiling water, cut a slice down the side of each tomato (just deep enough to cut the skin) and plunge them into the water for about a minute.
- When you take them out, the skin should come off easily.
- Once peeled, seed and slice the tomatoes and put them in a bowl.
- When you are done, heat the oil and the garlic in another pot and stir in the tomato pieces before the oil gets too hot.
- Season with salt and pepper, simmer over a low flame for 10 minutes, stir in the basil leaves, simmer for five more minutes, and it's done.