Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple but nice comfort food. It makes a great beginning, middle or end to a meal. We like it for a mid-afternoon snack as well.
- 1 medium butternut squash or 1 medium acorn squash
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk or 13 1⁄2 ounces cream
- 5 cups water
- 3 -4 teaspoons chicken soup base
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon sweet curry powder
- 2⁄3 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 cup applesauce (optional)
- 2 minced green onions
- Peel clean and dice the squash.
- Place in a medium to large pot.
- To this add coconut milk, water, bullion, and grated ginger.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Mash with a potato masher and stir in the curry powder.
- Continue to simmer until it is the thickness you desire.
- Toss in the coconut, and applesauce (this will make a sweeter soup), and plate.
- Sprinkle with minced green onions.