Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 bunches spinach
- 1 white bread roll, soaked in water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- stock (or milk)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Wash the spinach thoroughly, slice and put into a saucepan over brisk heat.
- Cook until limp and tender.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the roll; sieve the roll and the spinach together or blend them to a puree in a food processor.
- In a saucepan, gently heat 3 tablespoons oil; add the garlic and when it is bubbling add the flour to make a paste.
- Stir over the heat until the paste changes color to beige.
- Add the spinach mixture and enough stock or milk to make a thickish sauce, stirring all the time until bubbles break the surface.
- Add salt to taste and continue to cook, stirring, for a few more minutes.