This is a fairly typical Costa Rican recipe for beet salad using the holy trinity of Costa Rican cooking: Onions, cilantro, and sweet red pepper. Please don't use anything other than fresh beets, it just wont compare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the beets with their skins on so they do not lose their color.
- 2When they are soft enough to easily pierce with a fork, let them cool in a tub of cold water until they are cold enough to peel. The skin will come off easily if you rub it gently with your fingers.
- 3Dice the beets into small squares.
- 4Add diced onion, cilantro, and sweet pepper.
- 5Add mayonnaise and gently mix thoroughly.
- 6Don't forget to add lots of salt if you'd like (I LOVE SALT).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Beet Salad (Ensalada Russa)
Serving Size: 1 (55 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.5
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 111.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 1.1 g