Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a fairly typical Costa Rican recipe for beet salad using the holy trinity of Costa Rican cooking: Onions, cilantro, and sweet red pepper. Please don't use anything other than fresh beets, it just wont compare.
- 3 medium fresh beets
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1⁄3 large sweet pepper, finely diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (about a quarter cup when chopped)
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Boil the beets with their skins on so they do not lose their color.
- When they are soft enough to easily pierce with a fork, let them cool in a tub of cold water until they are cold enough to peel. The skin will come off easily if you rub it gently with your fingers.
- Dice the beets into small squares.
- Add diced onion, cilantro, and sweet pepper.
- Add mayonnaise and gently mix thoroughly.
- Don't forget to add lots of salt if you'd like (I LOVE SALT).
If you like beets, this is to die for.
Delicious! Beets are typcially appreciated, but family and friends love this recipe.