Recipe by Cheerleader
This is a fairly typical Costa Rican recipe for beet salad using the holy trinity of Costa Rican cooking: Onions, cilantro, and sweet red pepper. Please don't use anything other than fresh beets, it just wont compare.
- 3 medium fresh beets
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1⁄3 large sweet pepper, finely diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (about a quarter cup when chopped)
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the beets with their skins on so they do not lose their color.
- When they are soft enough to easily pierce with a fork, let them cool in a tub of cold water until they are cold enough to peel. The skin will come off easily if you rub it gently with your fingers.
- Dice the beets into small squares.
- Add diced onion, cilantro, and sweet pepper.
- Add mayonnaise and gently mix thoroughly.
- Don't forget to add lots of salt if you'd like (I LOVE SALT).