1/2 Photos of Simple and Delicious Low Fat Vegetarian Chili
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This is a quick and simple, no-fuss chili. I am a huge fan of spicy foods, but I chose to make this chili a bit more mild to suit the tastes of my family. Please feel free to adjust the "heat" with cayenne, or even fresh diced jalapeno to suit your taste. This chili can be topped with sour cream, shredded cheddar, or your favorite hot sauce. The leftovers make great meatless burrito wraps.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans
- 1 fresh ear corn, kernels removed (can substitute canned corn)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- 2Add onions, peppers, carrots and garlic and cook until tender-about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 3Add chili powder and cumin (and cayenne pepper if using).
- 4Stir to coat veggies, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until the smell of the spices intensifies.
- 5Add diced tomatoes, broth of your choice, black beans, and corn to stock pot with the veggies.
- 6Stir well, and bring liquid to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer 10-20 minutes or until carrots are tender and flavors are well combined.
- 8More vegetabe broth or tomato juice can be added if chili becomes too thick.
- 9Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Remove from heat and stir in chopped fresh cilantro if using.
- 11Serve over your favorite rice.
- 12I like brown.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple and Delicious Low Fat Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 28.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: