Recipe by Ppaperdoll
These muffins are based on the traditional Easter Simnel cake, fruity, with marzipan baked into the center. From a little cookbook that came with the April 2006 BBC Good Food magazine.
- 250 g mixed dried fruit
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 175 g butter, softened
- 175 g golden caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 175 g marzipan
- 200 g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, for mixing
- jelly beans or miniature chocolate egg, to decorate
Directions See How It's Made
- Tip the fruit into a bowl, add the zest and juice and microwave on medium for 2 minutes (or leave to soak for 1 hour). Line a 12 hole deep muffin tin with paper cases. Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, spices and milk until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the fruit and mix together well.
- Half fill the muffin cases with the mixture. Divide the marzipan into 12 equal pieces, roll into balls, then flatten with your thumb. Put one into each muffin case and spoon the rest of the mixture over. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Beat together the icing sugar and orange juice to make icing thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Drizzle over the cooled muffins, then top each with jelly beans or chocolate mini eggs.