Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a recipe on Rasamalasia.com
Make and share this Sichuan Orange Beef recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces sirloin, cut into thin strips across the grain
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (not the toasted kind) or 2 tablespoons sesame oil (not the toasted kind)
- 1 tablespoon szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chinese rice wine (shao xing)
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 -3 scallions, sliced thinly on the bias
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- juice from one orange (about 1/3 cup)
- zest from one orange (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add in the beef and coat well. Leave to marinate for 30-60 minutes in the fridge. When ready to cook, drain the beef well, reserving the marinade.
- Heat a wok or large skillet on high fire. Add peanut oil, and swirl to coat. Add the crushed sichuan peppercorns and do a few quick stirs until fragrant. Add the beef, then the shao xing, and sear for 1-2 minutes until slightly charred, then do a few quick stirs. Add in bell pepper and give it a few more stirs.
- Keep the heat on high, add in the leftover marinade, and toss to coat all the ingredients. When the sauce starts to simmer, stir in the scallions and toasted sesame oil. Serve immediately with hot steamed rice.