Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a southern tradition and is served mainly at the holidays. The original name was Leather Britches.
- Wash about 1 cups of dried green beans.
- Place them in a pan with 4 cups of water.
- Let stand overnight.
- Next day, pour off the water in which the beans were soaked and rinse them well.
- Put the beans into a large pot with a close fitting lid.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon salt. 3 cups of water, and a 2 inch square of salt pork. (can use bacon grease).
- Cook over medium heat for about 3 hours, adding more water if need.
- Dried beans swell as they soak, what you think is just a little turns out to be a lot when cooked.