Adapted from Cooking Light with some minor changes for our taste. This can be served over rice or pasta
- 3⁄4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp.
- Saute 3 minutes and remove from skillet.
- Keep warm.
- Add 1 tsp oil to skillet.
- Add bella mushrooms and saute 5 minutes.
- Combine milk, flour, sherry, and egg yolk, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add to the mushrooms.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Return shrimp to skillet and stir in salt and peppers.
- Cut each toast slice in half diagonally.
- Arrange 4 toast triangles on each of 2 plates.
- Top with 1 1/2 cups shrimp mixture, and sprinkle with chives.