Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from the wife of a co-worker. It's a very simple cake, buttery & not too sweet -- perfect with seasonal fruit & whipped topping or ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees; grease a 9x9 dish & set aside.
- In a large bowl, cut flour, sugar & butter together until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture.
- To the remaining butter mixture, add the rest of the ingredients & mix well.
- Pour into prepared dish & sprinkle topping over.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Note #1: The edges of the cake may turn a light golden brown while baking, but the topping should not brown.
- Note #2: Double the ingredients to make a larger (9x13) cake.
Great texture, but really salty. I would probably halve the salt. Other than that it was quite nice, though.
Tonight, I had a craving for strawberry shortcake so I decided to try this recipe. This was an excellent and very easy recipe! I had everything on hand and was surprised that egg was not one of the ingredients listed. I will be making this shortcake again, however, I will use less salt. I thought it was a little too salty for me. I'm not a salt fan...Overall, great recipe. Thanks.
Tender, sweet, delicious! Thanks.<br/><br/>***Addendum: I've made this so many times now, each time a great success. Our whole family just loves it. Thanks again.