Recipe by cookiedog
From the Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook. This is a healthier version of tetrazzini which has a nonfat sauce that tastes creamy
Top Review by J-Lynn
I changed this quite a bit, but do want to say that the sauce is still creamy in texture. I APPRECIATE that it's low in fat. I made it with 1% milk. What this recipe lacks is flavor, and that can be added with spices and herbs. After making the sauce, I added parsley, Mrs. Dash Seasoning, and salt, until it was flavorful. In addition, I don't like mushrooms and had no pre-cooked chicken. So I boiled a chicken breast with diced carrots and 2 stalks celery and a little sliced onion. When the chicken was cooked through, I cooled and drained, saving the broth for later. I added the drained, partially cooked veggies, to the sauce when called for later in the recipe.
- 12 ounces dried spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups canned reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large pot three-quarters full of water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, preheat an oven to 375°F Coat a 3-qt baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk the cornstarch and evaporated milk until blended. Add the chicken broth and pepper. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, whisking frequently, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and carrot, partially cover the pan, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.Stir in the sherry, nutmeg, pepper sauce, and chicken.
- Drain the pasta and put it in the prepared baking dish. Add the sauce and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and cheese. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and the sauce is bubbling, 25-30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.