Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Foods of the World, Time Life.
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam (or preserves)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled and cut lengthwise into halves
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix everything except bananas. Put bananas cut side down, single layer, in a pan only large enough to hold them snugly like that. Pour sherry mixture over them evenly. Bake for 30 or until completely tender. Serve at once, from baking dish.
I really enjoyed the flavor of the sauce. The apricot jam and the flavor of the sherry really stood out in a good way. I cooked both ripe bananas and ripe plantains with the sauce. When I say ripe, I mean the bananas were almost mushy. Consequently, they almost flattened when baking. The plantains fared much better. They were a shorter, rounder variety and held their shape very nicely. Also be careful not to leave it in the oven too long because the sauce will soon become hard and stick to the pan. Made for PHOTO TAG.