Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have seen recipes for making shepherd's pie using meatloaf, but this is my own recipe for the reverse, meatloaf that tastes like shepherd's pie. This is a good dish to have on a cold day.
- 2 lbs ground round (beef)
- 2 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned beef gravy
- 2 finely diced carrots, steamed
- 1⁄2-1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 tablespoons Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt, as needed
- ground black pepper, as needed
- 3 -4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- In a large mixing bowl put the ground round, bread slices, eggs, beef gravy, carrots, peas, Heinz 57 sauce, garlic and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Your hands work best.
- Put the mixture into a large greased loaf pan and bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and top the meatloaf with the cheese slices.
- Mix the parsley in with the mashed potatoes and "frost" the top of the meatloaf and cheese slices with the potatoes.
- You may need more or less of the potatoes, depending on your taste.
- Bake at least 10 more minutes until everything is very hot.
- The Heinz 57 sauce is what makes this recipe so delicious.