This first course requires no cooking and clearly demonstrates the stunning a few simple ingredients of the finest quality can have when thoughtfully combined. All the elements are intended to complement the unique flavours of a good ham and can be assembled in the last few minutes. It should look light and airy, as if the ingredients floated down from the sky onto the plate.
- Using a vegetable peeler or cheese slicer, shave the Parmesan cheese into"ribbons".
- Intertwine a few ribbons of cheese andham on each of 6 chilled plates to form a small, fluffy mound.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the pear as thinly as possible.
- Add a few pear slices to each mound of cheese and ham.
- Over each plate, toss a few leaves of baby arugula, sprinkle with pine nuts and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Garnish with cracked black pepper.
- Looks and tastes like you slaved all day; who knew it could be so easy!