Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. Posted for ZWT6.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Refreshing and delicious but I do not feel it needs the amount of sugar called for as I cut it down and it is still too sweet for my preference. I'd like to make this again with half the sugar stated and see how that turns out. Made for ZWT6 NA*ME regions, for my team, The Ya Ya Cookerhood.
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb, trimmed, washed and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2-2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cold water, for serving
- crushed ice, for serving (or shaved ice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rhubarb and 1 cup water in a small non-reactive saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- When rhubarb is soft, strain and discard solids.
- Measure the juice and add enough water to make 2 cups.
- Return to pan.
- Add sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high and boil briskly, uncovered and undisturbed, for 5 minutes, or until syrup reaches 220°F on a candy thermometer.
- Cool to room temperature.
- To serve, pour 1/2 cup syrup into a tumbler.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cold water.
- Fill tumbler with crushed or shaved ice.