Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Sister-in-law Shannon loves the Golden Corral Chicken so we came up with this modified version for her.
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 3⁄4 cup bourbon whiskey
- Mix all the marinade ingredients and pour into a large plastic bag, place all the chicken in the bag and seal.
- Place in a shallow pan Cover and refrigerate overnight turning once in a while.
- Bake chicken at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a single layer, basting every 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Scrape pan juices with all the brown bits into a frying pan. Stir and add chicken. Cook for 5 minutes and serve.
WAY TO MUCH BOURBON. Previous recipe here had 1/2 C. Bourbon and 2 T wine for sauce. (I have a print of it). A reader had recomended using 1/4 C. Bourbon. I have made the recipe several times using the 1/2 C. but not marinating overnite, just a few hours, the recipe was very good.
Last week, with great fear and anxiety, I took this recipe to a Church Potluck using 1/4 C Bourbon and marrinated overnite. I doubled the recipe and used 5 # chicken tenders cut in chunks. I added enough cornstarch to make the sauce a glaze, (using wine). It was such a hit that I have got to get the recipe to 6 or 7 folks. (Good thing it is a small Church). Excellant, Excellant recipe. Just Hold The Bourbon....
I agree. Way to much bourbon. Do not increase the marinade when making larger batches. Unless you're making like 15 pounds. Even then, be careful. Any bourbon will do, (go cheap). If you marinate over night, cut back the bourbon even more. If the marinade is not totally covering the chicken when baking, stir more often, (every 10 min.). I also thickened with cornstarch. Really good over mashed potatoes, as my family members are not big rice eaters.