Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 (6 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter.
- Stir in crushed graham crackers.
- Pat crumb mixture evenly in bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Layer, in order, chocolate pieces, butterscotch pieces, coconut and walnuts.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over all.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars.
I cut back on the chips using just what I had on hand (which included a few PB chips). No coconut, 2 cups chopped pecans and a few raisins (just to try it out). These are so easily adaptable. I think next time I'll put raisins on the whole thing. I thought I saw someone had added mini marshmallows and even toffee chips. I may have to try that in the future, too.
A classic favorite. This is the traditional recipe for seven-layer bars (or "Magic Bars") I've always used. They are very rich. I finely chop the walnuts in a food processor to sneak them past my picky children.
We have used this recipe for---forever! The only draw back, very and I mean very rich!