Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Taste of Home
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- additional sesame seeds
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Add milk, honey, shortening, salt, egg, sesame seeds, whole wheat flour, and 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.
- Shape into loaves.
- Place into two greased 9-inch x 5-inch x 3-inch loaf pans. Brush with butter or margarine, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cove and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.