Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is featured in the book "Diet For A Small Planet".
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground sesame seeds
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together whole wheat flour and soy flour, sesame seeds, and salt.
- Add oil and blend in well, then add enough water to make the dough soft enough to roll out very easily into a thin sheet.
- Gather the dough into a ball, then roll out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut in cracker shapes or sticks and put on an unoiled baking sheet.
- Bake until the crackers are crisp and golden.
I LOVE these crackers they are fun to eat and kinda fun to make!! If you have a thing for sesame seeds you gotta try these.
These little crackers are yummy! I'd never made homemade crackers before, so this was fun..I added about 1-2 tablespoons of poppyseeds, just because I love poppyseeds! Thanks for a great recipe.
Perfecto! I've been searching for a good cracker recipe and this is right on the money. Gotta love how healthy these are... just an added bonus as to how delicious these are! ;) I found the flavor rather like wheat thins. I found they were much better with a sprinkling of salt on top and I pricked the tops after some in my first batch puffed up funny. Thinner is definitely better- the thicker ones are not nearly as crisp. I ground about 1/4 cup whole sesame seeds in my coffee grinder, but ended up with about twice that amount, which really surprised me! I only used 1/4 cup of the ground seeds, which is what I assume is right for the recipe. Next time I will try adding a couple tsp of whole seeds too or maybe some flax. Or spices! Or fresh garlic! Lots of potential in these little guys. I would have liked some direction for grinding the sesame seeds... Just 'cause ground sesame seeds are not something everyone has sitting in a canister in their kitchen- like are they supposed to be floury or just cracked? I think I almost overdid mine. I would have also liked at least an estimate of the cook time per batch. I had to check mine constantly. I was delighted at how easy these were to make and were to roll out! Delicious! Will definitely make again.