Recipe by Mary Cokenour
Easy to make cakes using mostly boxed or canned ingredients for when you need a dessert quick. Food blog link: http://www.comfortcookadventures.com/2012/12/semi-homemade-caramel-apple-cake.html
Top Review by lazyme
TDF! This cake is so simple and absolutely delish! My grand daughter and I made it together this weekend. Our only problem was that we weren't sure whether it was supposed to be a layered cake or not. So we did layer it. Thanks for sharing this great keeper. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
For the Caramel Layer
- 118.32 ml butter, melted
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 946.36 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
For the Apple Layer
- 595.33 g can apple pie filling
For the Cake Layer
- 517.37 g boxsuper moist yellow cake mix
- 4.92 ml apple pie filling
- 0.25 ml ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F; spray two 9 inch cake pans with nonstick baking spray. Cut out two circles from parchment paper to line bottom of cake pans; spray the paper with the nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ingredients for the caramel layer until it resembles coarse crumbs. Divide the mixture up between the two pans pressing to the edges and 1/4 inch up the sides.
- Divide the pie filling between the two pans, spreading it out up to one inch from the edges.
- Prepare the cake mix according to packages directions, but add in the apple pie spice and ground ginger. Divide the batter up between the two pans and use a spatula to smooth it out.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes; cake will be golden browned and you might see some of the caramel oozing up the sides of the cakes. Remove pans to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- When cooled, use a hot knife around the edges to make sure the caramel will not stick to the sides of the pan. Carefully flip the cakes onto a serving plate and peel off the parchment paper. Cut into 8 wedges and serve with a scoop of ice cream.