Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Well, not SELF-peeling, but almost! You'll never have a problem peeling hard-cooked eggs again, even fresh eggs. No puncturing, no vinegar, salt, or baking soda, this is about as simple as you can get. Make sure your steamer holds the eggs ABOVE the water, not in it, or you'll have trouble. You need a lot of water so it doesn't boil dry. Also, if you are making deviled eggs, turn the egg carton on its side in the fridge the night before cooking them to center the yolks.
- Put the eggs into a steamer basket or tray that will rest above the surface of the water.
- Fill the bottom of a pot with 6 cups of water.
- Set the steamer basket into the pot, put on the lid, and turn on the heat.
- Bring the water to a boil, and then turn down the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- When time is up, chill eggs in cold water until cool enough to handle.