1/3 Photos of Scrambled Egg Nests
In these easy and charming bites, shredded potatoes are baked in a muffin tin to form crunchy cups, which are then filled with scrambled eggs to make a festive and kid-friendly finger food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 1/2 cup) bag frozen hash brown potatoes, defrosted (we used Simply Potatoes)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced bell pepper
- 3/4 cup diced cooked breakfast sausage
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Heat the oven to 400°.
- 2In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, 1/4 cup of the oil or butter, salt, and pepper.
- 3Spoon about 1/3 cup of the potato mixture into each cup of a 12-serving muffin tin. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of each cup, then bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 4Remove the nests from the oven and allow them to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- 6Heat a large nonstick saut? pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining oil or butter to the pan and heat.
- 7Add the onions and peppers to the pan and saute until both are soft and the onions are slightly golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 8Add the sausage and cook until heated through.
- 9Add the egg mixture and stir until the eggs have set and small curds have formed.
- 10Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Remove the potato nests from the muffin tin and place them on an ovenproof platter or cookie sheet.
- 12Fill each cup with some of the egg mixture, top with a sprinkling of the cheese, and place the nests in a 375° oven until the cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 13If you like, garnish each nest with a little parsley. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scrambled Egg Nests
Serving Size: 1 (1593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.8
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 107.6 mg
- Sodium 152.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g