8 hrs 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
Adapted from Jennifer McCann's Polenta Fries recipe. http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ is a great spot to visit for lunchbox inspiration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brush one 8.5 x 3.5 loaf pan with olive oil. Cut a piece of baking paper large enough to cover the bottom of the loaf pan with two edges folding up and over the sides of the pan. This will help you unmold the polenta. Spray or brush the parchment with olive oil. Set aside.
- 2In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- 3Add the salt.
- 4Gradually add the polenta, whisking constantly.
- 5Return to a boil, lower the heat to the lowest setting and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick, about 8 minutes.
- 6Add 1 T olive oil and the nutritional yeast and stir well to combine.
- 7Pour the polenta mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth the top with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- 8Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 9In the morning, preheat the oven to grill with the oven rack set about 5-6 inches from the broiler.
- 10Line a baking sheet with baking paper and brush the paper with olive oil.
- 11Remove the polenta from the loaf pan and set on a cutting board.
- 12Slice the polenta into ½” slices, then cut the slices in half to make bite-size pieces. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet and brush them with olive oil.
- 13Grill for about 10 minutes, until the tops are crispy. Flip the slices over and grill for an additional 5 minutes, until crispy and beginning to brown. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Serve the fries with barbecue sauce or ketchup for dipping.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Schmoo Food Polenta Fries
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.6
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1197.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 9.7 g