Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Adapted from Jennifer McCann's Polenta Fries recipe. http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ is a great spot to visit for lunchbox inspiration.
- Brush one 8.5 x 3.5 loaf pan with olive oil. Cut a piece of baking paper large enough to cover the bottom of the loaf pan with two edges folding up and over the sides of the pan. This will help you unmold the polenta. Spray or brush the parchment with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the salt.
- Gradually add the polenta, whisking constantly.
- Return to a boil, lower the heat to the lowest setting and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick, about 8 minutes.
- Add 1 T olive oil and the nutritional yeast and stir well to combine.
- Pour the polenta mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth the top with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to grill with the oven rack set about 5-6 inches from the broiler.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and brush the paper with olive oil.
- Remove the polenta from the loaf pan and set on a cutting board.
- Slice the polenta into ½” slices, then cut the slices in half to make bite-size pieces. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet and brush them with olive oil.
- Grill for about 10 minutes, until the tops are crispy. Flip the slices over and grill for an additional 5 minutes, until crispy and beginning to brown. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Serve the fries with barbecue sauce or ketchup for dipping.