Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Ideal for long hot summer days when you don't feel like cooking and of course the beauty of using a slow cooker (crock pot) is that it doesn't heat the kitchen! The prawns are optional for vegetarian but if you eat fish please add them! This is sooo fantastic! Serve with crusty bread or crudites or pretzels! YUM! Adapted from: Slow Cooker Cookbook by Gina Steer.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, peeled, finely chopped
- 6 ounces raw prawns, peeled (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 350 g gruyere or 350 g swiss cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 150 ml pear cider or 150 ml apple cider or 150 ml light beer
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- raw vegetables or French bread or pretzel, to dip
- Preheat the cooker to high whilst preparing the ingredients.
- Heat butter until melted.
- saute the shallots for 3 minutes.
- rinse the prawns and dry on kitchen paper.
- add prawns to shallots cook for 3 minutes.
- remove from pan, drain and reserve.
- Rub inside of pre-heated pot with garlic clove.
- Place grated cheese in pot.
- Blend cornflour, cider and hot pepper sauce and pour in, stir and cover.
- Cook on LOW for 1 hour or until cheese has melted.
- Stir in prawns and shallots and either use immediately or keep for 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with parsley (optional) and serve with crudites, bread, pretzels or whatever you fancy.
- SO EASY AND SOOOO DELICIOUS! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!
The cheese didn't really melt that well. But, the combination of ingredients tasted good.