Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
A creamy and healthy side dish.
- water to cover the rutabaga (about 3 cups in a large pot)
- 5 whole allspice
- 5 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 rutabagas
- 2 carrots
- 4 large potatoes
- ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water, allspice, peppercorns, and salt to a boil.
- Peel and finely chop the rutabagas and carrots. Add to the pot.
- Reduce temp to a low boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the potatoes.
- After the 15 minutes is up, add the potatoes and cook an additional 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the potatoes to a mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes rutabagas, and carrots, adding just enough cooking water to get a creamy purée.
- Place in a serving bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg, and top with butter.
Took my a while to work out what rutabagas were - we call them swedes down this part of the world. We all adore swedes/rutabagas but never had them with cinnamon. Great combination. Made for ZWT 6
Made as written for ZWT6 & this recipe was headed for 5* from the moment I saw it since a variation of this rutabaga dish is a pers fave of my DH. This recipe adds carrot which I esp liked. I used a combo of both cinnamon + nutmeg along w/the optional butter to top this tasty puree. This is an easy-fix I made easier by using my magic-bullet. My camera failed me in my haste, but DH made me promise to repeat this dish w/a pic for you .. high praise from him, so thx for posting this for him/us. :-)
I made this tonight, to serve along with DieniaB's Frikadellar, and it was simply wonderful. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT6.