Scandinavian Rotmos (Side Dish With Rutabagas and Potatoes)
- In a large pot, bring water, allspice, peppercorns, and salt to a boil.
- Peel and finely chop the rutabagas and carrots. Add to the pot.
- Reduce temp to a low boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the potatoes.
- After the 15 minutes is up, add the potatoes and cook an additional 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the potatoes to a mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes rutabagas, and carrots, adding just enough cooking water to get a creamy purée.
- Place in a serving bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg, and top with butter.