A bit of a twist on the usual sweet Danish pastries, these are my savoury Danish pastries using Danish Bacon and Danish Blue cheese - a very tasty combination! Use ready made puff pastry for speed and ease. Serve these for brunch or a light lunch with salads and pickles. These are also great to take on a picnic.
- 12 ounces danish back bacon, trimmed and diced
- 4 ounces danish blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 12 ounces premade puff pastry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- black pepper
- 1 beaten egg, to glaze
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F, Gas Mark 6, 200°C.
- Heat the oil , add the onion and saute until lightly coloured and soft.
- Add the chopped bacon and cook gently, stirring occasionally.
- When the bacon is cooked & crispy, add the paprika, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and salts.
- Allow to cool a little then add the sour cream and crumbled blue cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Roll out the pastry thinly and cut into 8 squares.
- Put a spoonful of the mixture onto each square,and bring two corners over the top to meet each other and make a diamond shape - covering most of the filling.
- Put on a greased and lined baking tray, glaze with the beaten egg and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20- 25 minutes, or until pastry is puffed up and golden brown.
A Very Tasty Combination Indeed!! My first experience using puff pastry and we thoroughly enjoyed the rich savory filling. I used regular bacon and baked for 20 minutes, the pastries were perfectly browned with a shiny cast from the egg wash, beautiful!! And so crispy and light. Thank you Dear Frenchie, for the recipe, I'm already thinking of all the things I can do with puff pastry now!! Edited to add the 5 stars!!
Wonderful! Wonderful! Perfect with soup & or salad! I loved these. Will make again & again.
I made this last night for a dinner party and everyone loved it! Every single couple at the party asked for the recipe. It is truly delicious and decadent. I adjusted it based on what I had available in the house. I put part blue cheese, part gouda. Used regular bacon and used honey mustard which actually worked well. I highly recommend this recipe!