Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very healthy, live food recipe with nut protein, EFAs and veggies. Use as a sandwich spread or thin it out slightly to make it a dip. As a filling you can roll up in lettuce leaves or spread into celery sticks. The recipe originates from Alive Magazine. It made a huge amount so I cut the recipe in half. As this is "live" food it does not keep, you need to eat within 24 hours or it begins to ferment. Perfect time to pull out your seed sprouter and make your own lentil or other sprouts - or you can usually buy a variety of sprouts in your local produce store. A food processor is the best tool for this, in order to get a true pate consistency. I have made it in my blender, which worked but I had to add some water to help things along so it was more like a hummus consistency. I am also editing to include about a tsp of tamari/soy/braggs as an option. I found it needed it an extra boost of seasoning.
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews, finely ground (or grind whole ones in the first step)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 2 teaspoons light miso (miso paste)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup sprouted lentils (or mixed bean sprouts)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (or to your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon tamari (or soy or Braggs)
- Grind up the cashews until they're quite fine, I find my 'magic bullet' works really well for this small amount, but then I have to transfer to a food processor to get it to a pate consistency.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, scraping down the sides a few times. Adjust seasoning to your taste, you may want to add a little extra miso for more saltiness or use the optional tamari/Braggs.
- Refrigerate and use within 24 hours.
Wow! This is good! Sorry I just got to it. I've been wanting to make this for months. Nutty salty flavor. Great for celery and cucumber spears. Thanks
I halved the recipe and spread it on whole grain toast. Yummy! Thanks!