Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I developed this recipe, it is really a wonderful moist casserole. Adjust the jalapeno peppers and the cayenne pepper (if using) to taste. To save time you can prepare the stuffing mixture and/or cook the sausages up to a day in advance, the remainder of the recipe is very easy, just layer and bake! Do not add any salt to any part of this recipe as the sausage meat, soups and stuffing mix already has salt added. If desired the sausage meat can be replaced with cooked diced chicken or turkey.
- 2 lbs Italian sausages (casings removed and cooked until well browned)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans low-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (divided, use low-sodium if possible)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- grated parmesan cheese
- 3 (120 g) boxesturkey-flavor seasoned stuffing mix
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finley chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained
- cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth (use only low-sodium broth) or 3 cups water
- 1 cup water
- black pepper
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- For the stuffing; melt butter in a large skillet, add in onions, garlic, celery, green bell pepper and jalapeno peppers, saute, stirring with a wooden spoon for about 6-7 minutes or until well softened.
- Season with black pepper and cayenne (if using, do not add in any salt to the mixture the stuffing mixture already has added salt in it).
- Add in the mushrooms, then the 2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup water (or use 3 cups water) bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- Add in the 3 packages stuffing mix; toss with a fork to blend, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes toss again with a fork.
- Layer half of the stuffing mix into the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- Then top/sprinkle with the cooked sausage; push the mixture down with a back of the spoon to pack evenly.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs with milk and one can undiluted mushroom soup; drizzle over the sausage in the dish.
- Sprinkle/top with remaining half of the stuffing mixture.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, then spoon and spread the remaining undulted mushroom soup on top (the soup does not have to cover the top completely, just use a spoon to spread out as best you can).
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour or until the middle is set.