1/1 Photo of Sausage Stuffed Banana Peppers
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Pa. Hiker's Note:
I wish I could say I developed this recipe on my own, but truth be said it came from my son's school. Two fantastic chefs (John & Cindy) from the Western Pa. School for Blind Children gave me this, and many other recipes. It's a favorite among the kids there who love spicy foods!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 large banana peppers (Anaheims are best)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1Cut off tops of peppers, and remove stuff inside& seeds.
- 2Chop edible portions of tops; set aside.
- 3Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- 4Add peppers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes.
- 5Drain and set aside.
- 6Heat butter in a medium skillet.
- 7Sauté reserved chopped pepper, onion and celery until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and garlic.
- 9Season with basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 10Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 12In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan.
- 13Mix in hot sausage, mild sausage, bread crumbs and 1 cup of the tomato sauce mixture.
- 14Fill each pepper with the meat mixture.
- 15Place in a 3-quart casserole dish, and pour remaining tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
- 16Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Stuffed Banana Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (740 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.9
- Calories from Fat 396
- Total Fat 44.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 137.2 mg
- Sodium 4308.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 49.0 g