Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a traditional recipe belonging to West Bengal, India. It must be enjoyed with one's fingers and in no other way if one wants to enjoy it best :-) It was taught on TV this morning on Star Plus, on Mirch Masala, by Chef Rakesh Sethi.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 200 g lady fingers, washed and ends chopped off
- 3 teaspoons paste green chilies, poppy seeds and mustard seeds
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- water, enough to cook lady finger
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add mustard seeds and allow to crackle.
- Add Lady Finger followed by paste of green chillies, poppy seeds (khus-khus) and mustard seeds.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add water as much as is required to cook the Lady Finger.
- Add lemon juice.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with white Basmati rice.