Recipe by Jellyqueen
A flat thin unyeasted cracker bread. Recipe by Patricia Wells
Top Review by oliveoil
Even though this bread is not highly flavored it is still quite delicious and easy to make. I made short work of the rolling out process by using my pasta attachment on my Kitchenaide mixer. I'm teaming the bread up with Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Hummus for a party tonight.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, about
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F at least 40 minutes before baking.
- In a large bowl combine flours and salt and mix ingrediants thoroughly.
- Slowly add water, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a soft dough (you many not need to add all the water.) With your hands, work the dough into a ball.
- Place on a clean, floured work surface and knead for about one minute.
- The dough should be firm and pliable, not sticky.
- Divide the dough evenly into 12 balls.
- Place the balls on a lightly floured surface.
- Flatten each ball into a thick 4-inch pancake.
- Generously flour the work surface and with with a heavy-duty rolling pin roll each portion of the dough as thin as possible into an 8" to 9" round.
- These breads are meant to be roughly shaped.
- Thinness is more important than the shape.
- The dough should be thin enough to see your hand through it.
- Place several rounds of dough on an ungreased baking sheet and place in the oven or place on a baking stone with a baker's peel.
- Bake until the top of the bread is firm and lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Baking time will vary and will also depend on the number of breads placed in the oven.
- With tongs or your fingers, turn the bread over and bake until the other side is slighly browned, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- (The bread should be rather bumpy, puffy, and irregular, with occaisional pockets full of air.) Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat wtih the remaining rounds of dough.
- The bread cools quickly and can be served immediately.