Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
Thanks "Swedish Chef for the name." This was a drink we always had after a long day of skiing. Up north in MI ...cold, icy, and either snowmobiling, cross country or skiing at the local resort all day, we were frozen! This was the drink. We would heat up a whole bottle of Vernors on the stove with a lemon and honey, poured into mugs and topped with brandy and bourbon. A simple warm wonderful drink. You can also use a orange, but the lemon was always our favorite. Now I have tried this with Canada Dry and it just isn't the same, but there are many other brands similar to Vernors if you can't find it. It is just a great combination. The best part is ... you can just microwave a teaspoon of honey, Vernors, and a slice of lemon in a mug - then top it with bourbon and brandy and you can make this just for one if you want.
- 67 5⁄8 ounces vernors ginger ale (Canada Dry could be used as a substitution)
- 12 ounces Bourbon (1.5 oz/1 jigger per drink)
- 8 ounces brandy (1 oz or per drink)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 lemons (1 cut in quarters, squeezed and left in the pot to heat, the other sliced as a garnish in each mug)
- Base -- Just add a liter (67.6 oz) into a large pot. Cut up a whole lemon in quarters and squeeze the juice into the pot with the Vernors, (keeping the seeds out), then just toss the squeezed pieces right into the pot. Add the honey and bring to a low simmer on medium low heat until hot. Done!
- Serve -- Just pour the hot Vernors into a mug, about 2/3's filled and top with 1 jigger or 1 1/2 oz bourbon and 1 oz brandy. Now you can go a bit less if you want. Just adjust according to your tastes. And top with a lemon slice. Just float it on top.
- A perfect warm drink!
Oh this is good!!! Made a single serving in the microwave, just for myself. Used Vernor's which has such a nice gingery flavor. A great wintry drink that warms the soul. Thanks Kim!