Recipe by Cactus Arm
Simple picante sauce recipe. Very thin but refreshingly tasty. Great with tortilla chips or as a dressing for tacos, burritos, chimichangas or any mexican dish. Combined with avacados makes great guacamole. Simple to make if you have a chopper. The amounts for the ingredients are estimated as I usually eyeball it and adapt to my family's taste. Can be frozen, will be a little watery after thawing, but will still taste great.
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 -3 bunches green onions
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 10 dashes hot red pepper sauce (Tapatio)
- 1 -2 cup tomato sauce (if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove seeds from tomatoes by slicing either top or bottom of tomato and shaking out the seeds(they should fall out.) Then dice or chop tomatoes in chopper to desired size. (I like mine practically minced.)You can make it chunkier if you wish.
- Finely chop cilantro, add to tomatoes.
- Slice green onion, including as much of the green part that looks okay, add to tomato mixture.
- Mince garlic cloves and add to tomato mixture.
- If mixture is not saucy, then add tomato sauce to desired consistency.
- Add salt,pepper, and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Experiment to find what you like.
- You can add chili powder, fresh chopped jalapenos etc.