Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Although the recipe says Samhain and the spices are well suited to the entire Fall season and you'll enjoy it at any time of the year.
- 226.79 g baby carrots
- 59.14 ml unsweetened apple juice or 59.14 ml cider
- 1.23 ml dried red pepper flakes
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 14.79 ml spiced rum (optional)
- In small saucepan, mix carrots, apple juice or cider, pepper flakes, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg (preferably freshly ground), allspice and rum if using.
- Coat carrots thoroughly.
- Bring mixture to low boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- As mixture thickens, begin to stir constantly, taking care not to allow liquid to scorch.
- Carrots should be crispy tender and sauce mixture should be thick coating.
I made as posted, and included the spiced rum. I didn't have enough liquid to get my carrots tender, and the spices were very intense....love these spices, but just couldn't find any carrot flavor under all the spice. So I added more broth to let my baby carrots get tender. I do recommend using this spice blend if you are trying to sell your house....the smell is fabulous! Simmer it on the stove top and your home is warm and inviting! I'll have to try this one again and adjust the seasoning a bit to suit our taste. Thanks for sharing! Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
i loved how the apple juice really sweetened up the carrots easy to do .watch as it gets to end of cooking will scorch cause all the sugar s
I always like to find a new recipe for preparing carrots, & I've found one right here! Great tasting carrots, even if I did leave out the rum! Both of us really liked the red pepper flakes in this! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars recipe tag]