Recipe by Pikake21
This is not to be confused with the type that have salt and pepper on the meat. The salt and pepper piles are served on the side of the dish as something that you can dip the spareribs into. If you'd like, mix the salt and pepper into the soy sauce mixture before frying.
- 3⁄4 lb spareribs
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 5 teaspoons salt & pepper (less if you are mixing it into the sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the spareribs and chop into pieces, 2 inches long and 3/4 inch wide (5 cm by 2cm ).
- Mix the rice wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, and 2 teaspoons water into a paste.
- Add the spareribs and stir to coat well.
- Heat the oil the work over high heat to 350oF (180oc), or until a piece of scallion or ginger sizzles and moves around quickly when tossed into the oil.
- Add the spareribs and deep-fry for 1 minute. Remove, drain, and set aside.
- Reheat the oil to 400oF (205oc), or until a piece of scallion or ginger browns quickly and a haze appears above the oil.
- Add the spareribs and deep-fry until they are browned and rise to the surface.
- Remove, drain well, and place in a serving dish.
- Place two piles of pepper-salt on the edges of the dish as a dip, serve.