Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Hot and spicy! This is a recipe from Nom Nom Paleo. She says it will punch your food in the face, and she is right! adjust the heat by using fewer chills - or by cutting out the ribs and seeds - or in my case by using MORE chills and leaving IN the ribs and seeds.
- 1 lb tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 chili peppers (or more)
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 shallot
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- Place the halved tomatoes on a baking tray very close to the broiler element in your oven. Broil on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skins, flip the toms and broil on the other side for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, back at the ranch, cook the chiles and garlic in a nonstick pan - don't use any oil or any anything. Just let those puppies roast, turning frequently. Allow the skins to become quite black, this will give a nice roasty flavor to your salsa, and will make removing the peels much much easier.
- Place the shallot, cilantro and salt in your handy dandy thermomix or food processor. Blitz until minced fine.
- Add in the roasted and peeled chiles and garlic. Blitz again, scraping down the sides as needed. Be careful when you open up the top - those spicy ingredients might make your eyes water.
- Carefully add in your roasted tomatoes and blend until you have a nice thick puree. Add in the lime juice, mix through and you are done! This is best made a few hours ahead so that the flavors have a chance to gel.