Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I saw this on Martha Stewart. The lady got this recipe from her mother-in-law. The cinnimon gives it a great taste and the soaking somehow makes the chicken very tender.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Soak chicken overnight in ice water; pat dry and sprinkle with salt.
- Season flour with black pepper and cinnamon. Toss chicken pieces in flour, and then shake off excess. Let dry for 15 minutes.
- Pour milk into a shallow bowl. Dip chicken into milk and then roll back into the flour.
- Melt 2 inches of shortening into the skillet over high heat. Brown the chicken pieces in the skillet on both sides starting with the meat side down and turning frequently. Lower heat, cover skillet, and cook for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces.
- Remove the cover, raise heat, and fry until chicken is crisp on both sides.
- Remove and drain on wire rack.