Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Sweetbreads are considered a delicacy among those familiar with haute cuisine. Sweetbreads are the thymus glands and/or pancreas of calves, lambs and piglets under one year old.
- 2 sweetbreads, 1 pair
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 head lettuce (butterhead or other tender leaf lettuce preferred)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann's preferred)
- green onions (optional) or scallion, very thinly sliced (optional)
- Soak sweetbreads in acidulated water (water and a little vinegar or lemon juice) for an hour and remove membranes and veins;.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil; add salt and lemon juice.
- Place sweetbreads in boiling water; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain sweetbreads and plunge into icy water to stop cooking process.
- When cold, cut into 1/4" dice.
- Place lettuce leaves in a chilled salad bowl.
- Mix the diced sweetbreads with part of the mayonnaise; pile into center of lettuce leaves and frost with remaining mayonnaise.
- Garnish with thinly sliced onion, if desired.