Recipe by HeatherFeather
A savory snack to serve with herb tea. These are so pretty -mini grilled cheese sandwiches cut into leaf shapes. You will need a rather small maple leaf shaped cookie cutter (the size should be a little bigger than your largest sage leaf). Adapted from Victoria magazine.
- 6 large fresh sage leaves, washed and dried
- 8 slices white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm, very thin slices)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces mozzarella cheese, 2 very thin slices
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a maple leaf shaped cookie cutter, cut out 16 leaf pieces from the bread.
- Cut 8 leaf shaped pieces out of the cheese slices.
- Lightly butter one side of each bread leaf (save some of the butter for later).
- Place a cheese leaf shape on top of 8 of the buttered bread slices (buttered side up), top with a sage leaf, then the remaining 8 bread slices (buttered side down), making little leaf shaped sandwiches.
- Melt remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute sandwiches until bread is lightly browned on both sides and cheese has melted,about 4-5 minutes.
- Add more butter if needed.
- Serve immediately.