Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe is from the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics.Preparation time does not include the 30 minutes needed for the formed sticks to rise, & cooking time is calculated for all the sticks being baked at the same time.
Top Review by Deantini
I added 1 tsp of salt and am glad I did because otherwise I would have found the sticks too bland. Next time I will probably add 1 1/2 tsp of salt because they could still use a little more. I made them into small individual breads (10 pc) and the dough was a delight to work with. The flour measurement was right on, used it all except maybe 2 tbsp of all purpose flour. I will for sure make again.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water, divided (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or more, if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 1 large baking sheet & set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, then add the honey & let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining water, whole wheat flour, rye flour & enough all purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface & knead until smooth & elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. DO NOT LET IT RISE at this time.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces, then roll each into a 10-inch rope. Place each rope 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet, then cover & let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F & bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.