Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
We bought a watermelon a little too early in the year and the flavor wasn't up to snuff. This is a handy dish to bring to parties or an afternoon of decadent lounging by yourself.
- 1⁄2 large watermelon
- 2 cups fruit juice (Sunny D, Tampico, crystal light, white grape, etc.)
- 1 cup rum (spiced or fruit flavored are nice)
- Place watermelon on its side and make vertical slices of your desired thickness.
- Cut these slices into quarters and stack to fit in a large non-reactive bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix the rum and citrus beverage (we used Mango Tampico and Bacardi Superior for irony's sake).
- Pour this mixture over the watermelon slices, making sure that all the slices are immersed/covered.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.
- Serve the slices on a plate (keep in mind that they will leak the mixture as they warm, so cover them if you'll be traveling with the plate to avoid spillage).