Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts." This may be served hot, warm, at room temperature, or cold. It may be kept warm or reheated over hot water. It may be refrigerated for weeks. It is wonderful over ice cream--it does not harden.
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup strained unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan over low heat melt the butter.
- Add the sugar, cocoa, rum, heavy cream, and salt.
- Stir over moderate heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the instant coffee and stir to dissolve.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
The sauce has a rich, fragrant taste, the vanilla, coffee and rum flavours all come through and tickle the tastebuds!!! After simmering it forms a smooth thick texture; a most delicious chocolate sauce!! Thanks for posting ~Patrish.