Recipe by Knomadix
My own recipie perfected after many batches to get the exact blend of flavours and consistency. I defy you not to love it!! Makes a healthy portion for about 6. Or regular for about 8.
- 3 fresh limes
- 2 lbs mushrooms (Your choice of type, I prefer white closed caps.)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (250 ml) carton single cream
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (Extra Virgin)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop the mushrooms.
- The finer the better!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet (or pot if preferred) and add the mushrooms and oregano.
- Cook them on medium heat until nicely softened.
- (approx 8 mins).
- Juice the limes and add the lime juice along with the garlic and cream to the pan.
- Add the salt and bring to the boil.
- Finally add the egg whites and stir in well!
- Then immediately reduce the heat and simmer on low heat for around 1 hour.
- (variable, allow time for the mushrooms to really soften up and the flavours to mingle and absorb).
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When cool enough place into a container and put in the fridge to chill and set.
- Serve cold, excellent as a starter or with fresh cooked bread!