Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
These were one of my favorite cookies as a child! :)
Make and share this Rose's Hermits recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream together shortening, brown sugar, and eggs.
- Stir in coffee.
- Sift together and stir in flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Mix raisins and walnuts into the dough.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2" apart on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees 8-10 minutes, until set, or until when touched lightly almost no imprint remains.
- Do not overbake.
WHAT A WONDERFUL COOKIE!!!! The perfect "10"!! I love the spices and the raisins and walnuts are just perfect. I can see that I will need to start doubling the recipe when I make these gems. I'm so happy to have this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
I have made these prior to joining the Zaar. The recipe is from the much loved Betty Crocker Cooky Book, 1963. The original instructions called for "dipping" to measure your flour or by the sifting method. I fluff my flour and then spoon into the cup and level with a knife and have had good results. They are wonderful and one of my favorite cookies!! Do give them a try, I don't think you will be unhappy. They are spicy and very moist. Flavored coffees work really well too! Sue L, thank you for posting! I'm printing it to put into my cooking binder, just so I can see my name in print!!!
This is and will always be my favorite cookie! But these days I omit the walnuts and add a bit more cinnamon.