Recipe by Geema
If you love hummus, you will enjoy this version very much. If you don't love hummus, you will still enjoy this sweet, savory dip/spread because the flavor of the roasted onions, peppers and eggplant shines through. You can make this dip ahead of time as it keeps well for several days in the refrigerator, but please bring it to room temperature or warm slightly before serving with pita chips or as a wonderful sandwich spread.
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, cooked, and drained if you are using canned
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sesame tahini
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the eggplant, bell pepper, onion and tomatoes in a bowl with the tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Spread them in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for 30 to 40 minutes until the vegetables are very lightly browned and soft.
- Cool slightly and measure out 2 cups for this dish. Save any remaining roasted vegetables for another recipe, such as on a pizza for your lunch.
- In a food processor, place 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, garlic, sesame tahini and 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- Process until the beans and garlic are almost completely ground.
- Add 2 heaping cups of the roasted vegetables to the processor along with the cumin, olives, salt and cayenne pepper. You can add more or less cayenne to suit your family's taste buds; I usually add at least another 1/4 teaspoon to ours.
- Process until almost smooth, leaving some texture and small bits of the roasted vegetables and olives showing through.
- Add more olive oil or some vegetable broth if you want to thin it out a bit.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.