Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a fabulous vegetarian gravy from Gourmet Magazine (November 2004). Using the roasted vegetable stock (Roasted Vegetable Stock) adds a great complexity, depth of flavour, and overall deliciousness from the vegetable caramelization. The vegetable stock takes some time, but once it's prepared, the gravy is a snap. It's also a great dipping sauce for bread and cooked vegetables. Cooks' note: Gravy can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled in an airtight container. Reheat in a saucepan over moderately low heat.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, and
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, and
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- roasted vegetable stock, heated (Roasted Vegetable Stock)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then add flour and cook roux, stirring, until pale golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add stock in a stream, whisking constantly to prevent lumps, and bring to a boil, whisking.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.