1/6 Photos of Roasted Squash and Sage Pizza (Or Pita Pizza or Burrito)
1 hr 30 mins
Wish I Could Cook's Note:
This is my favorite pizza ever. The roasted goodness of the squash goes perfectly with the tang of the tomato sauce. It looks like a long ingredient list, but it's mostly spices. This recipes makes enough toppings for two big pizzas, 6 pita pizzas, or 6-8 burritos. Everything can be made ahead and then assembled and popped into the oven. Adjust the level of "hot" you like by increasing or decreasing the red pepper. If you only want to make one pizza, halve the ingredients (except for the squash and sage, you gotta roast the whole thing -- and you'll love the roasted squash as is as a side dish.) I found this recipe in the September 2008 issue of Delicious Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 16 fresh sage leaves (chopped finely, about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (or vegan cheese)
- 2 large prepared pizza crust (or 6 pitas)
- 1In a large bowl, combine squash, half the chopped sage, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2Transfer to 9x13 baking dish and roast, uncovered 40 minutes at 425 or until fork tender and starting to brown on the tops.
- 3While squash is roasting, combine remaining oil, salt, oregano, red pepper and garlic in a small saucepan and saute on medium-high for about a minute, stirring frequently.
- 4Stir in tomatoes with juices and bring to a boil for a minute.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add balsamic vinegar. Stir for another minute and remove from heat.
- 7Spread pizza crusts or pitas with tomato sauce. Spread squash over tomato sauce and top with remaining sage and mozzarella.
- 8Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is melted.
- 9Enjoy hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Squash and Sage Pizza (Or Pita Pizza or Burrito)
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.8
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 479.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves
prepared pizza crust